What Is Poison Ivy?
Three leaves Let them be! You’ve probably heard the song about poison ivy, a plant that can trigger itchy skin rash. But do you know the reason? It’s due to the chemical urushiol (say”yoo-ROO” or “yoo-shee-o) which is a colorless and non-odorous oil (or resin) located on the leaves plants.
What Are the Signs & Symptoms of Poison Ivy?
Urushiol is considered to be an allergen due to its allergic reaction – the itching and swelling. It is not every person who experiences an allergic reaction, however, most people will.
This reaction can manifest in just a few hours after touching the plant, or up to five days after. The skin will typically turn swelling and red, and blisters are likely to develop. Itchy skin, too. After a couple of days, the blisters can develop crusts and then peel off. It could take between 2 and 3 weeks for healing.
When Should I See the Doctor?
It’s recommended to visit your doctor in case you experience any type of rash, particularly when you’re suffering from fever as well. If the rash is resulted from poison ivy, or a similar plant, your doctor might recommend cooling showers and Calamine lotion.
In more serious cases the use of a liquid or pill medication known as an antihistamine could be necessary to lessen the redness and itching. A steroid (say the STER-oyd) is a different type of medication, can be prescribed in certain cases. The medicine can be applied directly on the rash or it can be taken as a capsule or liquid.
Is Poison Ivy Contagious?
The rash of poison ivy itself isn’t infectious. It is nevertheless possible to get the rash of poison ivy without ever entering the woods, or even touching the plant. The way it works is: Urushiol may transfer from one person another. In addition, you could take it from anything that comes into close contact with it, which includes your dog who likes to explore through the woods! Urushiol is also able to travel throughout the air, if you burn some of the plants to remove brush.
How Can I Prevent Rashes From Poison Ivy?
To keep from developing the poison ivy rash
Find out the signs of poison ivy, oak and sumac, so that you are able to avoid them. The leaves of poisonous plants release urushiol when “injured,” meaning if they are smashed, torn or brushed against. After the urushiol is released, it is able to get onto the skin of a person. As the oil is released, the leaves could appear shiny or notice black spots of resin on the leaves.
Beware of areas where that these plants are present.
Put on long sleeves as well as pantalons when visiting places that include poisonous plants.
If you come in contact with urushiol oil take care to clean your skin immediately. Don’t shower! If you take a bath, the oil could get into the bathwater and get spread to other parts on your body. You should instead shower, and wash your body with soap. And if your dog been playing in the woods, you may consider giving your dog the same treatment!
Poison Ivy Treatment
Poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac can cause skin rashes among children in the summer, spring and autumn seasons. A reaction to the oil present in these plants causes rashes. The rash can occur from a few hours up to three days following encounter with plants. It develops in the form of blisters. It is followed by intense itching.
Contrary to what many believe It isn’t the fluid present in the blisters which causes the rash to develop. The spreading happens when tiny quantities of oil remain beneath the fingernails of the child or on clothing or on the hair of a pet that is then in contact with other areas on her body. The rash won’t transmitted to other people in the event that the remaining oil gets into contact with the skin of that person.
Poison ivy is an evergreen three-leaf plant that has an red stem in the middle. It can be found in a vine-like form throughout the United States, with the exception of the Southwest. The poison sumac plant is a shrub that is not a vine with seven to thirteen leaves that are arranged in groups along the central stem. Although it isn’t as common as poison ivy. It grows mostly in the swampy regions in the Mississippi River region. Poison oak is an annual plant, and is found primarily in its West Coast. The three species produce identical skin irritations. These reactions to skin are a form of contact dermatitis.
The treatment of reactions to poison ivy, the most prevalent of these forms of contact dermatitis is a simple problem to tackle.
Prevention is the most effective method. Be aware of what the plant appears like and then teach your children to steer clear of it.
If there was contact with oil or plant, wash your clothes and shoes with the soap mixture and then wash them with water. Also wash the skin area that was affected with the soap, water and detergent for at least 10 hours after you’ve touched or oil was touched.
If the breakout isn’t severe and not severe, use calamine cream three to 4 times per day to reduce itching. Avoid products that contain anesthetics and antihistamines because often , they can cause allergic eruptions by themselves.
Apply a topical hydrocortisone 1 percent cream to reduce inflammation.
When the skin rash appears serious and is visible on the face or on large parts that cover the entire body your pediatrician might recommend putting children on steroids or oral. They will be administered for a period of six to ten days typically with the dose being tapered on a schedule that is set by your physician. This procedure should be reserved for the most serious instances.
Contact your pediatrician in case you have any of these:
Severe eruptions are not responding to previously described home remedies
The presence of any sign of infection, like redness, blisters or bleeding
New eruptions or any new rash
A severe poison ivy infestation on the face